Parks and Recreation
With sunny weather year-round, it’s no wonder people in McAllen/Reynosa love having fun in the great outdoors. With 92 public parks and 25 miles of hike and bike trails, McAllen/Reynosa is a perfect place for those who love outdoor recreation. The city hosts two marathons and is minutes away from many natural wildlife preserves — just a few of the many reasons McAllen was honored with a 2015 Playful City USA designation.
For much of its existence since construction in 1935, the Spanish Revival Style mansion was a private and rather luxurious residence. The City of McAllen bought the property in 1998, and today it is now an urban sanctuary working to enrich people's lives by sharing knowledge about birds, plants, and environmental stewardship in South Texas.
Town Lake at Fireman's Park
This recent addition to the heart of McAllen offers visitors a chance to fish, kayak or paddleboat on an urban lake, surrounded by walking trails and playgrounds for the children.
The City of McAllen hosts a full summer’s worth of fun for young ones, including sports programs, nature hikes and much more. For a full list, visit McAllen Parks & Recreation.
The Parks Division of the McAllen Parks and Recreation Department maintains all McAllen city parks. Currently, McAllen has 25 city parks. The oldest park, Archer Park, was opened in 1912 and the newest park, Los Encinos Park was welcomed to our city on June 23, 1998. The Department works with local residents and city officials to ensure that city parks are of the highest standards. Parks improvements occur frequently as do development of new parks and facilities.
- Airport Park 2201 S. 26th St. - 11 Acres This park offers a variety of activities for everyone. A large picnic area surrounded by ash and mesquite trees provides a wonderful atmosphere for fun and relaxation. Children will enjoy the playground area that has plenty of play equipment. And the sports enthusiast will love the basketball court, sand volleyball court and softball/baseball fields. Airport Park also features a barbecue pavilion that can be rented through the Department.
- Archer Park 101 N. Broadway - 2 acres This beautiful park named after McAllen's first mayor is the City's oldest and is one of the remaining historic landmarks in the City. In the center of the park stands a gazebo which was originally dedicated as a bandstand in 1918. Archer Park plays hosts to many of the City's Special Events including Candlelight Posada and Shakespeare in the Park.
- Balboa Park 2611 Covina - 1 acre A neighborhood park designed for those who want to enjoy the outdoors in a park setting. Picnic tables and playground equipment are available for all to enjoy.
- Cascade Park 1000 Bales Rd. - 15 acres This park is perfect for picnics of all sizes. A variety of playground equipment and a sand volleyball court are available. And right next door is Cascade Pool. The park also features a softball/baseball field and barbecue pavilion, both of which can be rented from the Parks and Recreation Department.
- Daffodil Park 4200 Daffodil - 10 acres This area is a soon to be developed neighborhood park site. Currently, playground equipment is installed.
- Doc Neuhaus Park 700 Dallas - 2 acres A quaint park designed for nature lovers and picnickers. Large mesquite trees surround the area and make it a wonderful place to relax.
- Escandon Park 2021 S. 19th St. - 5 acres A neighborhood park that features a play center, sand volleyball court, picnic tables, and barbecue grills. A perfect place for a family gathering.
- Fireman's Park 201 N. 1st St. - 3 acres A park complete with a barbecue pavilion capable of serving 250 people. The pavilion features a refrigerator, indoor grill, restrooms, and can be rented through the Parks & Recreation Department. The park also has a playground area and sand volleyball court.
- Frontage Park 1901 Oakland - 1 acre A small park that features a basketball court and a variety of playground equipment including swings and seesaws.
- Garza Park 2601 Lark - 5 acres This park provides something for the entire family to enjoy. A tot play area and one of the higher slides in this area are available for the kids, while a sand volleyball court, a large sports area, and a jogging and exercise trail offer the adults plenty to do.
- Hackberry Park 417 Hackberry - 2.5 acres An exciting neighborhood park that offers a tennis court and playground equipment. Picnickers will enjoy the many tables and barbecue grills that are available.
- Idela Park 3500 Idela - 3 acres This park offers fun for the entire family. Sand volleyball, basketball courts, and playground equipment give everyone something to do. Plenty of picnic tables, barbecue grill, and a small pavilion are also available.
- Las Palmas Park 2500 Quince - 11 acres A park that is also the home of the McAllen Senior Citizens' Center and Adult Learning Center. Two junior soccer fields, a sand volleyball court, as well as a jogging and exercise trail are also available.
- La Vista Park 100 La Vista - 7 acres A park that features play equipment, a jogging and exercise trail, picnic tables, barbecue grills, sand volleyball, and plenty of open space for sports. A private barbecue pavilion capable of accommodating 250 people can be rented through the Parks and Recreation Department.
- Lions Park 1201 North 12th Street - 2 acres This small park is nestled in the heart of McAllen. Used mainly by Scout groups for meetings and activities, future grants will transform the area into a neighborhood park.
- Los Encinos Community Park 2900 Sarah - 27 acres This beautiful park is McAllen's newest addition. Sports enthusiasts of all ages will enjoy the lighted softball/baseball, football, and soccer fields, a jogging trail, a lighted basketball pavilion, lighted tennis courts, sand volleyball courts, and aquatic facilities. Exciting playground equipment is also available.
- Municipal Park 1921 N. Bicentennial Blvd. - 27 acres A large park that plays host to many City events. The sports enthusiast will enjoy the Stutzenbecker Baseball Fields, soccer fields, and Municipal Swimming Pool. Children will love all of the different playground equipment available. And don't forget about the many picnic tables and barbecue grills.
- Palm City Park 2601 S. 22nd Street - 5 acres A beautiful neighborhood park surrounded by mesquite trees. Play equipment and picnic tables make it a wonderful place to relax.
- Palm View Park 3411 Jordan Located adjacent to Palm View Community Center and other local subdivisions, this area is in the Master Planning phase for a future community park.
- Retama Village Park 2500 Laurel - 3 acres A park designed for the active. Kids will love the playground equipment. And the athlete will enjoy the basketball court and jogging and exercise trail. Picnic tables are also available for family outings.
- Robin Park 1100 Robin - 4 acres A playground park complete with slides, swings, and an obstacle course. Covered picnic tables also highlight the park.
- Schupp Park 1300 Zinnia - 19 acres Named after long time City Manager Bill Schupp, this park is perfect for all. Children can play on the many swings, slides, and merry-go-rounds. Those that enjoy exercise will love the fitness trail. And finally, picnic areas tie it all together to make it a wonderful place for a family gathering.
- Springfest Park 3501 South 23rd Street - 38 acres This site plays host to a number of special events as well as McAllen's Winter Polo League in January through March.
- Suarez Park 409 S. 27th Street - 3 acres A neighborhood park dedicated to police officer Rosalyn Suarez. The park was specifically designed with playground equipment for the disabled individual. Picnic tables and plenty of open play areas are also available.
- Western Park 110 N. 16th Street - .25 acre A quaint park with a western flavor that features playground equipment. Small yet a wonderful spot to relax.
- Westside Park 1000 S. Ware Road - 37 acres A park featuring a softball complex, playground equipment, picnic areas, and four barbecue pavilions. The pavilions can be rented through the Parks & Recreation Department. The Westside Softball Complex can also be rented for ASA-sanctioned tournaments.
Click here for more information